


i am soooo behind on updating this blog and I am going to try to post as many backlogged posts tonight. here's an update from Christine re: holland's potty training & just general activities of what the kids were up to post-Costa Rica & before school started back for Sofia. I especially love it when Christine captures pics of the kids cooking in the kitchen.
Here are some pictures of Holland using some glass and porcelain and cleaning up with a towel from just before Christmas. I've offered him glass and porcelain several times if I'm done preparing his food and can sit at the table with him. He is fairly careful with the glass (I think the weight helps him have more control as well as not knock his drink over accidentally as easily), picking it up and putting it down slowly and gently. The only thing we have needed to watch out for sometimes is keeping it close to the center of the table instead of the edge, even though he's generally good about remembering to push it away when he's ready to eat again. He shows such happiness and pride when I praise him for his care with these special pieces. He also really likes to help clean up, using the towel to wipe the table when necessary.
This morning, he had been running his combs across the indented lines of his bed and I thought I would see if we could bring out some velcro-ed fruit for him to "cut" with his play knife. He was able to get his knife in-between the grape parts (which is nice fine motor accuracy), and would go back and forth with a cutting action, but I don't think he was getting the additional (which also means more complex) movement of pushing down at the same time. After a little while, he'd just put the knife down and pull the pieces apart with his hands : )
We tried out underwear this morning for about an hour. He sat on the potty for a few minutes, I removed his diaper, and the first try in underwear ended up in an accident about 10 minutes later. We put underwear on again and he was dry up until we were getting ready for a nap almost an hour later. He sat, didn't go, but at least was dry for the rest of the time. He's been sleeping since about 11:15.
Last Friday, we made brownies just before picking up Sofia from school. I asked her if she wanted to eat or if she wanted to wait until dinner. She wanted to wait until dinner, which was surprising, but fine with me. However, as Holland was eating a brownie with some okra and tomatoes with rice he had for "lunch," Sofia said she changed her mind and wanted a brownie (but not any of the okra dishes). I talked to her about her body's signals (eating when you're hungry - belly is growling/hurting, and not needing to eat when you're not hungry) and we reviewed the food pyramid that she had in her folder from the last unit of inquiry. I told her her body doesn't change its mind so quickly from not feeling hungry to being hungry, but if she is hungry, she should eat some things with more nutrition first, before eating the brownie. I explained that Holland didn't have to wait because while he will eat some brownie and still eat nutritious food, Sofia will just hold out for sweets and not eat the other food, which isn't healthy according to the food pyramid (sweets is just a tiny sliver). I don't want to have the association that vegetables are the gross things you have to eat and get out of the way just in order to get the "good" stuff. All food is acceptable, as long as it's in the right proportions. She seemed to understand and ate a small bowl of okra and rice before having a piece of brownie.
No comments:
Post a Comment