From Ms. Christine -
I think those new blocks that you guys got are great (NOTE from CYL: these were actually a gift from a friend) and Holland was seriously playing with them for 2 hours today (with potty sits in between). He definitely has enough motor control to stack the blocks to a decent height and would smile and dance with glee as it rose higher. He'd also laugh and clap his hands together when it would fall or he would knock it down purposely. I had separated out just the small cubes and larger fat rectangular pieces for him to stack, but he was even able to stand up the thinner rectangular pieces with some effort. I could see him concentrating as he put on those more wobbly pieces and try and steady himself and the structure as he placed it on. Sometimes he would even want to put on multiple pieces at a time (taking a few from another stack and transferring them), but unsuccessfully. I was playing beside him so he may have gotten ideas from me too. I stacked categorically (only cubes or only rectangular pieces), stacked with different orientations and orders, bridged stacks, lined up pieces next to each other, and made patterns with the natural and colored blocks. He emulated some of my play stacking the pieces in different orientations and pushing pieces together and stacking on top of them (an elementary form of bridging, which is much more advanced).
We stayed in underwear all morning and he had 1 success (pee) and no accidents. Yay! (Yesterday, he had no successes and 1 accident.) I've begun to just keep time on my own, going less frequently (maybe every 20-30 minutes after meals and a little less after he's peed), but checking every so often for dryness and going immediately when he mentions pee or poop. When the timer goes off, and it's time to go to the potty, I've noticed him showing more resistance, especially when he's engaged in an activity. He knows what the "ding" means and probably doesn't want to be interrupted (who likes to be interrupted?!), so I've just been giving him a 2 minute warning (telling him he can still play for a little while, but we'll be going soon), then a 1 minute warning (to help him gear up to get to a good stopping place) and then we go, which has seemed to work a little better. I definitely think if we stay consistent with him he could be completely potty trained (while awake) in the next 2 months.
Sunday, November 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment