From Ms. Christine (and my comment is I would be completely shocked if HMF is actually potty trained before Sofia was) -
Yesterday, when I got Holland when he woke up from his nap, he greeted me saying "poop" and patting his diaper. I didn't smell anything and even checked his diaper and didn't find anything. However, a few minutes later, he pooped. Interesting. I knew he had been showing an awareness and interest in his elimination process/products (he'd want to touch/see his poop, he would pat his diaper and say "poop," and has been mesmerized, stopping in his tracks to watch, when he peed after a bath on our way to get a new diaper and clothes), but I didn't know he could sense the urge to go before going. That's usually something that happens a bit down the line, even after children start successfully controlling their elimination processes. He's been participating with me with putting his legs into his shorts and recently, I've also started working with him on pulling his shorts down and pulling them up. I think he could be ready to start trying a potty, but that's up to you guys as to when you would like him to start.
Also, when I stand him up after his diapers, he's always wanting to grab for books. He's sitting better with me for books and has begun to really flip through them in an engaged manner, staying with the "Opposites" book yesterday for several minutes. I wanted to give him some free access to books to give him more exposure and choice regarding print and literacy so I used the diaper box to store some in the meantime.
Holland, as you know, at times like to play rough with things/people. I put sports related things in the bin next to the kitchen things so he could find soft objects to throw as well as balls to roll or toss. I also recently brought out his puzzle trains, noticing that Holland could use them as blocks. He's been wanting to stack things like random boxes that I have cleaned out. I took out the trains and the curved pieces so he could just stack them and knock them down - another appropriate way to get out some of his energy. He had a good time doing it yesterday. I think the combination of his careful attention to detail and his desire for big movements makes this exciting for him as he can build fairly tall towers and then make them crash.
Today, Sofia woke up close to 9, crying because when she woke up to look for Cindy, she couldn't find her. She calmed down as we sat together and talked about how sad and scary it must have been since she usually sees her for a little while before she goes to work. We talked about Cindy not being there tomorrow morning either, but that I would be there when she woke up. She told me she was sad because she was missing her mom, but was able to be comforted by me. We made some breakfast, finishing up the breakfast sausages and waffles, and Holland woke up around 10ish. By the time we were all fed and dressed, it was close to 11, so we just went out to the deck and played.
Sofia found a lone leaf on the lounge chair and asked if it was poison ivy. I asked her if she remembered any of the characteristics of the leaves of poison ivy and she said it had points. This leaf did have many points (jagged edges), but I reminded her that poison ivy had three. She then asked where the leaf came from. She said, "This leaf doesn't have a family." We looked at the nearby trees and bushes to see where it might have come from. We found leaves that had a similar color, but only one point; leaves that had lots of jagged edges, but didn't have a sharp tip like the one we found; and leaves that had a sharp tip, but was darker in shade. This attention to detail, persistence, and deduction are great skills for problem solving. I told her maybe we could search beyond the deck when Holland was asleep, so she saved them on the table, being sure to put something on top of the leaves so they wouldn't blow away.
Wednesday, September 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









No comments:
Post a Comment