Friday, September 10, 2010

Tupperware

From Ms. Christine -

Holland's been really interested in tupperwares lately.  He had been really working to open the tupperware with the elephant puzzle pieces, and then yesterday, he was engaged using the small tupperware with the hair clips for maybe about 20 minutes.  Today, after taking one bite out of a new bagel, I put it in a Gerber bowl tupperware to save it for later.  He really wanted to close it (though those things are infamous for being tough to close).  I took out two easier tupperware for him to use and he was engaged doing that for maybe 10-15 minutes, putting his little spoon inside, closing it, opening it, and taking it out.  He still gets frustrated sometimes when he doesn't have the lid on right (it's upside-down), but he's starting to try new solutions instead of trying the same one over and over and over again (which is an advance in problem-solving skills).

We went to Perry Park to play.  I love how Holland is often less interested in the play structure, and more interested in nature - the birds, the sticks, the rocks, the leaves, the gradients and slopes, the water.  It has so much more richness to it - the details that can be noticed and compared, the larger principles of physics/how things work, and also provides both fine and gross motor opportunities.  He loves to pick up different types of sticks/bark from the ground and carry them around.  He was really interested in manipulating the gravel and next time we go, I think I'll bring some bottles with us to use with the gravel.  Do you have any shovels, buckets or funnels that we could use?  There were also a few other nannies speaking Spanish, with their kids running around.  Holland just sat and people watched for quite a while : )  Both the nannies and the children.  I wonder if he's remembering the Spanish from Ms. Christina, perhaps.

Holland's been wanting to buckle himself into his car seat for a while, and now he's recently had some success with the top buckle.  He looks so proud of his accomplishment when he gets it, beaming at us. 

No comments: