Monday, May 2, 2011

Update from Christine (Mon, May 2nd)

Update from Ms. Christine - 

Although he was rubbing his eyes numerous times this morning, Holland had boundless energy and high spirits.  We got ready for the day, peeing, changing clothes and brushing teeth and then we made some oatmeal with apples for breakfast.  After putting away his dishes in the dishwasher (I've been recently having him take responsibility for his dishes), he wanted to go "play."  He ran circles around the living/dining room, throwing his little stuffed dog around.  He wanted to turn on some music, so I helped him do that, and he continued his high energy play.  I had him sit for another potty sit just before 10 and he peed.

Afterwards, I brought out some puzzles to help him calm down and do some more focused play.  He was really interested in doing the newer cardboard puzzles, which were quite challenging for him.  Most of the time, he had his own agenda, but every so often, he would seem to listen to some of the details I pointed out (ex., Where is your hair?  Is it at the top or bottom of your head? ("Top")  We need to put that piece at the top of the puzzle since hair goes on top.)  It took him maybe 20 minutes of trying and trying some more to put together the 5-piece face puzzle, but when moving onto the next puzzles, he was able to maneuver them quicker, being more keen on strategies I had mentioned (i.e., The shoes should go next to the shoes, The head needs to be next to the head.)

I mentioned that in a little while, we'd go to the potty before going to take a nap and he told me he was "playing."  I let him finish up a couple puzzles and he mentioned pee while playing.  I repeated that we would pee before going to sleep, but asked him if he needed to pee now and he said "no."  I should have taken the cue and just taken him because a couple minutes later, he started having an accident.  We quickly went to the potty, and he made a lot more pee in the potty, but I was really surprised that he had so much so soon (perhaps 30 minutes after his last potty sit).  Anyways, he was ready to go to bed after that, so we read a book and I tucked him in.  He was talking and singing several minutes after I left, so I checked back in the room and reminded him it was time to go to sleep.  I didn't hear another peep and he was asleep around 11.

No comments: