Sunday, May 22, 2011

Update from May 10 & 11

From Ms. Christine - 

Yesterday, I tried to take advantage of the milder heat and took Holland out to Ramsey park to play.  He fell asleep on the way there, and took about a half hour nap before waking up and being ready to play.  We used the bathroom at the park before heading off to play.  As I spend more time with him he seems to be quite a careful boy.  Although when I started, he seemed to do some pretty reckless and destructive things, he doesn't seem to exhibit those behaviors anymore.  When he's climbing on the play structures, he is hesitant to go down steeper slides.  He generally chooses paths that he's already been on and uses those parts of the equipment over and over again.  He is very gentle with putting his porcelain and glass away after meals and is very careful when putting fruit in bags and in the cart/basket when shopping for groceries.  I was noticing that his interactions and interest with peers is growing.  He did a lot of imitation of a boy at the park, shaking a fence, jumping by the fence, and even copying him after he slipped on some gravel on a walkway.  He went over and tried to slip and intentionally fell.  Funny.  He's learning simple ways to connect with others.  He's also been talking about his lab school classmates - singing Pat-a-Cake with their names, as well as just naming them from time to time.  Before leaving the park, I asked Holland if he needed to go to the bathroom before going home.  "I don't want to," he said.  He stayed dry until we got home, but while working on getting his pants off, he peed (all of what he had).  I keep giving him chances to show me he knows his body, but he doesn't, so I feel like I have to keep going back to timing and telling him when he needs to go.  He slept in underwear during his naps on Monday and Tuesday and stayed dry.

Today, we hung out at home, playing with the Trio blocks, dancing to music, and playing in the car.  I wanted to bring out some clay to use after one of Holland's potty sits, but after putting on his underwear backwards repeatedly (and refusing help), we didn't have enough time and it was time for a nap.  No accidents today so far.  He peed before going to sleep, but I had him put on a pull-up, since he doesn't have a problem putting them on...

No comments: